Types of IP
There are different types of IP rights, each with a specific purpose.
- Patents – give you the right to stop other people making, using or selling your invention. An invention is a novel and inventive product or process.
- Designs – give you the right to stop other people making, using or selling something incorporating your design. A design registration is a novel 2D or 3D design applied to a product.
- Trademarks – give you the right to stop others from using the same or confusingly similar trademarks. A trademark is a word, logo, slogan or other sign that is used in commerce for distinguishing your goods and services from others.
- Copyright – provides you the right to stop someone else copying your artistic or literary creative work.
- Plant Variety Rights – provide the right to stop others producing and selling the protected plant variety or fruit, seed, flowers from that variety.
There’s a lot to Intellectual Property so if you have any questions, please contact us.